Here are the best ways to reduce or compress the photo size without compromising the quality of the version of the photo Techhow:
- Using an Online Photo Compress Tool
- How to Compress Photos Online
- Changing Photo Format
- PNG to JPG
- JPG / PNG to WEBP
- Reducing the Color Depth of the Photo
- Reduce Photo Resolution with Photoscape
- Photo Crop Method
Guide to Compress Photos Without Damaging Quality
This article will explain how to compress photos online without destroying the quality of the photos. There are several ways that we will use to reduce the size of the photo. For more details, please read this tutorial article in full.
The main points that you will get from this article are:
- How to reduce photo size without destroying photo quality
- Ways to compress photos online
- The correct way to reduce photo size
5 Ways to Compress Photo Size Without Damaging Photo Quality
Without further ado, just below are ways to compress the image size properly without reducing the size of the photo. Here’s the explanation:
1. With the Help of the Online Photo Compress Tool
One of the best ways to reduce photo size is to use online photo size compression help. There are lots of online photo compression applications that you can use, one of which is ShortPixel.
Why ShortPixel? Because we also use this online image compressor tool to reduce the size of the photos on this Techhow site.
So, the question is how to compress photos online using ShortPixel? Here are the steps and how to compress photos without reducing photo quality:
How to Compress Photos Online with ShortPixel
- Access and open the website ShortPixel.
- Upload photos or drag photos to the compression box to reduce the size of the photo. Maximum photo size is 10MB and you can use bulk image reducer up to 50 photos at a time.
- Wait a moment and you can compare the quality of the photo before and after being compressed with click the eye logo in the corner of the image.
- Download images which has been compressed online.
Note: To download multiple images at once, you must log in first. Create a free ShortPixel account and you can get credit up to 100 photos per month.
You can use ShortPixel to shrink PDF size and also compress GIF file size for free. That’s how to compress photos online with ShortPixel.
This method is perfect for those of you who need pictures and photos quickly and without having to install software or applications first on your smartphone or PC.
There are many online photo compression applications that you can use and we have discussed them before. To find out all the list of applications, please read our article about the Online Photo Background Application.
2. Changing Photo Format to Reduce Photo Size
The second way to compress the photo is to change the format of the photo. The formats that are widely used by most people are .JPG / .JPEG and .PNG.
The .JPG format has a smaller photo size compared to the .PNG format photo, because the .JPG format supports a limited number of colors, even though there are many, but .PNG supports unlimited photo colors.
How to Change PNG Photo Format to JPG
Here’s how to convert a photo from PNG to PNG format:
- Download and install the software Photoscape.
- Open a photo with Photoscape and select the menu Editor.
- After that select the menu Editor and Save As with combination keys Ctrl + Shift + S on the keyboard.
- If the save box comes out, select it Save as type at the bottom of the photo name to format JPEG (* .jpg * jpeg).
Convert PNG Photos to JPG with Photoscape
Now, if you want to upload your photos to a website or online, try the .WEBP photo format, because this format has a very small size compared to the two photo formats above.
How to Change Photo Format JPG / PNG to WEBP
Here’s how to change the photo format from JPG or PNG to the WEBP format:
- Download and install the software WebPconv.
- Open WebPconv and will automatically open to mode Encode.
- Select and add photos using Plus icon or direct Drag & Drop by using the mouse over the photo you want to convert to JPG or PNG format.
- If the photo has been entered into the software, then then start the process of changing the photo format by selecting the button Play.
- After the Encode process is complete, your photo files will be saved to Desktop on the folder web_encode.
Converting Photos to WEBP with WebPconv
Also read the guide on how to change the background of a photo to a specific color or a specific image. Details have been discussed in the article How to Quickly Remove Photo Background in minutes, easily and automatically.
3.Reducing the Color Depth of Photos
One of the factors causing the photo file size to be too large is because of the color. Color depth is an important factor in the sharpness of a photo. Each photo format has a different file size.
For example, JPG photo files have a smaller photo size compared to PNG. How to reduce the size of the photo can be done by reducing the color depth of the photo (Color Depth). Confused about how to reduce the color depth of a photo? Follow the steps to reduce the photo file size below:
- This process must use Adobe Photoshop software. If you don’t have Adobe Photoshop yet, go ahead download Photoshop here and then install it on your computer.
- Open Photoshop and open the photo file that will be compressed in size.
- After that select the menu Image> Mode> Indexed Color and 8 Bits / Channel. Why Indexed Color? Because this color depth has a smaller photo file size compared to RGB Color.
- After that Save As your photos to compare the file size of photos before and after being compressed in this way.
4. Reducing the Size of Photo Resolution
Another factor that affects the image file size is the photo resolution. The greater the resolution of the photo, the larger the photo size will be. This method is a way to compress the photo size by reducing the resolution of the photo.
There are two ways you can reduce the file size of the photo without reducing the quality of the photo. You can use Photoscape. Here’s the explanation:
Reduce Photo Resolution with Photoscape
- Open Photoscape. If you don’t have Photoscape yet, go ahead download and install.
- Select menu Editor> Edit> Resize and adjust the photo size as needed. For example, your photo has a resolution 1920 x 1020 then you can reduce the size of the photo resolution to 1280 x 720 etc.
- Save the photo and you’re done.
Resize Photo Size with Photoscape
Apart from the methods in this article, you can also use and compress photos on your Android. Here is a list of current Photo Compress Application recommendations.
5. Shrink Photo Size By Cropping Photos
The next way to be able to reduce the size of the photo file without damaging the quality of the photo is to crop or crop the photo and remove the unnecessary part. So there are many ways to crop photos, for example Adobe Photoshop, Photoscape and Paint (the default Windows application).
For this tutorial, we will be using Paint. Why Paint? Because this application is automatically installed on your Windows and easy to use. Here’s how to crop photos using Paint:
- Open the Paint Application. Open your photo using Paint.
- After that select the tool Select and choose which part to crop.
- After that select the tool Crop.
- After cropping, don’t forget to save the photo using the command Ctrl + S.
Crop Photo with Paint
Conclusion: Shrinking Photos Without Damaging The Quality Is Possible
Well, for now it’s enough information that we can provide for you and hopefully you can understand how to compress the photo size without reducing the quality of the photo. There are many other ways you can reduce the size of your photos.
Of all the ways to compress images and photos above, just choose the most suitable and easy to understand method. Reducing the size of the photo, of course, must suit certain needs.