Techhow.org – Not everyone uses a Windows or Mac operating system. Although both of them are the most used by most of the people today.
For users other than Windows and Mac, Linux is for example. In creating a table of contents, you can use Libre Office. Libre Office can be used as a way to automatically generate a table of contents.
Apart from Libre, you can also use WPS Office which can be used on various operating systems. WPS Office can be used on windows, mac, or linux devices. Here’s how:
Creating Auto Contents Table in Libre
Some of you may not be users of Windows or Mac operating systems, but users of Linux operating systems. Linux itself has many versions. There are Fedora, Ubuntu, and other versions.
All Linux versions have their own Microsoft Office. Not Microsoft Office created by Windows, but the same family of applications as Microsoft Office; the name is LibreOffice.
Libre also provides a menu to automatically create a table of contents. LibreOffice is different from Microsoft Office. Either in the menus or as a whole.
For example, if Microsoft Office is a paid application that requires a license to use it, then LibreOffice is a completely free application.
Indeed, all applications on Linux are free because they are open-source. Here’s how to create a table of contents in LibreOffice Writer.
- Open the document for which you want to create a table of contents using LibreOffice Writer.
- In fact, creating a table of contents in LibreOffice Writer is not exactly fully automatic. Once the document is open you must prepare a blank sheet for the table of contents.
- On the blank sheet, list the bullet points of the table of contents that you will need. For example the chapters and sections that follow. Write everything in full, according to what is in your document.
- Once your draft table of contents is ready. Now is the time for you to set what is called a style. This style is very easy to find, it is located on the left.
- If you have found the style column, then the next step is to set the style. For all major Chapters, you have to change it to “Heading 1”.
- After you’ve set Heading 1, it’s time to number. Block the words “Table of Contents” and right click, select “Bullets and Numbering”.
- At this time the Bullets and Numbering window will appear on your screen. Click the “Outline” tab and select “Numeric with all sublevels”.
- Then click the “Options” tab and enter “Chapter[spasi]”Right in the” before “column, click” okay “when it’s finished.
- Now it’s time to block the section and change the style to “Heading 2”. Then block the subsections from the sections and change the style to “Heading 3”. If it’s still there, do so using styles.
- Now you just need to clean up the table of contents that you have created. Set the size, font, and others according to the conditions and neat.
Creating a table of contents in Libre is more complicated than Ms. Word. This method is not completely automatic, as you still have a lot to do. However, if you follow the instructions above, you will definitely be able to create a table of contents in LibreOffice Writer.
Also Read: How to Make Charts in Excel
How to Create a Table of Contents in WPS Office
Creating a table of contents is not only about using Microsoft products. You may also use other alternatives. One of them is using WPS Office as a replacement for Microsoft Office.
WPS Office is available on Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems. Here are the steps you need to take if you want to create a table of contents through WPS Office.
– Download WPS Office
- Open the document for which you want to compile a table of contents.
- When the document is open, all you need to do is look for the “References” menu.
- If you have found the “References” menu, then select insert “Table of Contents”.
- After that the “Table of Contents” window will appear, you can now set the table of contents as you want. This window also provides a print preview, so you can see what the table of contents will look like.
Also Read: Learn Excel Formulas to Advanced
Creating a table of contents in WPS Office is easy and automatic. You just need to do the simple steps above.
If you have used Microsoft Office before, you may be familiar with how to create a table of contents in WPS Office. The way to list the contents is somewhat similar.
Making a table of contents sucks, if you don’t know how to do it right. Therefore, follow the steps mentioned above. Whether it’s for users of Ms. Word, LibreOffice Wrtier, or even WPS Office.
The table of contents is really just an easy thing to do, if you know how to do it right. Pay attention to the steps above.