With the arrival of watchOS 7 we have the possibility of automate the change of spheres of our Apple Watch according to various patterns. We can, for example, configure a certain sphere for when we are in the office or that from a certain time the cinema mode is activated.
The magic of the Shortcuts app
All these changes and automations will be made through the app Shortcuts, But, let us start at the beginning. First of all we have to create all the spheres that we are going to use and exchange. We can do it directly from our watch by holding down the screen while we see the time, turning the digital crown until we see the option New and choosing and customizing the sphere.
In this tutorial we will take these steps for granted and focus only on automation. Is the we will program from the app Shortcuts of our paired iPhone and we will do it by following these steps:
- We open the app Shortcuts on our iPhone.
- We enter the tab Automation.
- We touch the “+” in the upper right.
- We choose Create personal automation.
- We touch Time of day.
- We set the time of day when we want to make the change and choose to repeat it Everyday or between Every week and we mark which days of the week we want the automation to be activated.
- We press Following.
- We touch Add action.
- In the search engine at the top we write Watch.
- We touch Watch below title Apps.
- We choose Define sphere.
- Click on the small Sphere appearing in blue.
- We choose the sphere that we want to define as current.
- We press Following.
- We deactivate Request confirmation.
- We confirm by touching Do not request.
- We press okay.
That easy. They may seem like many steps, but they are easy to complete. For more ease we can consult the video below:
So we can automate the change of sphere on our Apple Watch. Step by Step. pic.twitter.com/BtzqYgCqSO
– David Bernal Raspall (@ david_br8) October 8, 2020
In the previous example we have seen how to change our sphere according to the time of day, however we have more options available. If in step 5 we choose To get. We can define the location within which we want certain automation to be activated. In this case, let us remember that if, for example, we change our sphere when arriving at work, we must create another automation to change again when you return home.
Another option is to go one step further than simply changing the dial. In step 12 we can play again Add action, search and select Watch and choose to activate or deactivate the mode Cinema or silent, for example. Thus, in addition to changing the sphere, we can configure our Apple Watch automatically according to the occasion. Of course we can also omit the change of sphere and automate only the activation of these modes.
By combining several automations we can achieve very interesting effects. Whether based on the location where we are or at a certain time of day, the truth is that being able to change the dial and configure our watch according to the occasion is really useful.